But some people suffer from specific musical anhedonia which is a fancy way of saying they get no pleasure from it.
And they would disagree with all of these statements:
- When I hear a tune I like a lot I can’t help tapping or moving to the beat
- When I share music with someone I feel a special connection with that person
- I get emotional listening to certain pieces of music
- At a concert I feel connected to the performers and the audience
- Music keeps me company when I’m alone
Personally I think this is sad and that people are missing out on an important aspect of their lives. Music brings people together – whatever style or genre – and also has therapeutic power.